Monday, June 29, 2015

Painting Journal: Hikari Jungle Groot



I really like Funko's Hikari Groot toy.  It's big and hefty, nearly 12" tall, has good proportions, and very nice detail work throughout.  If you've considered getting a Funko Hikari figure, this is a great place to start.  It's not "proper" Japanese Sofubi, despite what the box may say, but the quality is top notch.



I had to paint it, and went all getting three of the standard figure (which, again, looks really nice).  I wanted something more colorful.  Inspiration comes from Kenner's wild 1980's Swamp Thing toys.  While I never had any as a kid (too scary!) they fascinated me then, and their bizzaro schemes are still a great place to start.



Using Monster Kolor, I sprayed both solid colors and metallics at different angles to highlight the details.  Unusually for me, I skipped the pearl effects and high-gloss clearcoat.  That leaves the constrast between the satiny solid greens and teals, and the glossy metallic red and green highlights.  His eyes stand out with metallic yellow.



I had a great time getting into all the little details of the figure, and I hope you all enjoy it too!


No comments:

Post a Comment