Monday, February 11, 2013

Painting Journal: Max Toy Co Mini Alien Xam



I'm still fighting off the flu, apologies in advance if this post is less-than-lucid.

One more Max Toy Co Mini figure, this time in clear vinyl!  Xam is the alien baddie in Mark Nagata's Max Toy universe.  Like Captain Max, his figure is on the small side, almost micro-scale.  A nifty sculpt, and a cool design, somewhere between the Metaluna Mutant and Doctor Zoidberg.  I like it.



Monster Kolor C-thru on the job again, to preserve the transparency.  Obviously, I like playing with opacity, and first I sprayed the eye, feet, and claws with Monster Kolor silver, my go-to primer and base coat.  I put it on thick, and faded into the transparency.



I masked off the eye with silly-putty, and went to work with the C-thru paints.  First Seashore stripes for a blue ringed octopus look, and contrasting yellow to fill the gaps.  Then the silly putty mask came off, and I highlighted the unblemished silver with Moon Dust.  It's a very fine silver pearl coat with a subtle shimmer.  It makes the silver really pop.


For your own Alien Xam, check the Max Toy Co Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment