Friday, January 6, 2023

Making a Cantina - Part II

3D printed Kenner-style cantina
The Whole Mess

The recent minor explosion of retro-styled 3 3/4" figures made me need an excuse to keep buying them.  I'd been planning to make a party skiff out of one of the newfangled Hasbro Desert Skiffs, but never got around to it, and they just didn't have enough space.  What I wanted was a Kenner Creature Cantina, but it wasn't big enough.  

So the Cantina started with a booth.  Restaurant booths are deeply and fondly engrained in my memory, but that's a story for another post.   I didn't know of a booth big enough to seat four action figures (just the right amount to negotiate passage to Alderann), and set out making one.  

The design was simple enough, though I had to print in pieces due to my tiny printer, but the concept worked!  A little wider and another half, and the booth would be enough room for four figures.

Hammerhead is suspicious of Party Palpatine

But the important thing was the bar.  A booth isn't much on it's own, it needs a bar to gather 'round.  The bar required a new printer.  Once that was dialed in, so was the desing.  And once that started, it got elaborate.  I couldn't leave the bar without lights, or a glow-in-the-dark bartop.  Because that is my way.

LEDs in the bar, and tables that glow.

Add another module for an entrance, and another for small booths (perfect for disposing of pesky bounty-hunters), and the Cantina was done.  At least for the first pass. A place for every 3 3/4" action figure to hang out, swap stories, and drown their toy sorrows (and an excuse for me to keep buying Glyos, Super 7 ReAction, Mezco 5 Points, etc.)


No comments:

Post a Comment